Monday, April 19, 2010

Trying to be more active.

I haven't been doing a very good job of keeping everyone posted or blogging very often. I think once a year isn't really even considered blogging.

So once again, I'm going to try to be a better blogger. If you are just dying for Izzy pictures and updates, Facebook is the best way to keep up to date on Izzy. Search for me with my email: d_d_smith@hotmail.com.

Izzy is doing really well. I quit my job at SHB last January to stay home with her after she kept getting sick and having trouble gaining weight. Remember in September 2008 that she cultured PA, but since then has had clear cultures. She did get double ear infections twice. And her nose ran basically from November through March but overall her health has been good.

Izzy also got her CPT Vest in October 2009. It was $15,000 but the insurance company paid 80% and my mom, God bless her, picked up the 20% we owed for us. Izzy started out at 60% on the vest but by mid-February 2010, she was at 100%. Her lungs sound really clear. Of course, she is 2 now, so she argues with us about doing her breathing treatment everytime. Sometimes she cries and/or screams through the whole process but we don't let her take a day off because CF never takes a day off.

Izzy has struggled with her weight. At her January appointment, the clinic did discuss giving Izzy a g-tube. At this time, we have refused the g-tube treatment. This doesn't mean Izzy will never have a g-tube but we decided to try using some Boost supplements and giving Izzy time to adjust to solids before we consider the g-tube again. Izzy is still struggling to gain weight. She weighs about 23 lbs now. She is definitely on the lower end of the growth chart. Yet she remains around the 50th percentile for height. This makes buying clothes that are long enough and fit at the waist a rather hard task. If we feel that Izzy's weight is factoring into her culturing bacteria, we will definitely pursue a g-tube at that time.

I went back to work on March 1st, 2010, but just part time. I go in at noon. Izzy stays with a SAHM friend of mine. She loves staying there b/c my friend has 3 little boys. She calls the boys her brothers. They are 5,3, and 1. They get along really well. Izzy has really enjoyed her time with them. I miss being home with her and if she gets sick again, I will, of course, have to decide if I can continue working but for now it is working out okay for us.

We are ramping up for Izzy's Great Strides walk. Her team in KC is called, Tink's Team. We raised over $8,000 last year but are no where close for this year to that mark. So if you haven't donated yet, please click below and do so!

http://www.cff.org/Great_Strides/dsp_DonationPage.cfm?walkid=6400&idUser=351176


I have also posted Izzy's CF Montage video for this year. It has a lot of pictures from this year and is cute. Please watch it!

No comments: